Finding Success – Adhanom’s Story

Adhanom Beyene

Part of our ongoing effort to recognize employees, their work, and how they support Harvard’s mission.

Growing up in northern Ethiopia, Adhanom Beyene had heard of Harvard University but it never crossed his mind that one day he would actually work here. While he enjoyed his life in the Tigray Region, in his late 20s, Adhanom began entering his name in a government lottery system to secure a U.S. visa. After two years, he succeeded. But this would be just one success, in a long line of achievements for Adhanom whose strong work ethic and ambition has allowed him to find much success at Harvard.

“When my wife and I got here, it was not easy,” says Adhanom. “The culture is very different than where we grew up, the language, the weather, and the snow!” After arriving in the U.S., Adhanom spent several years working more than 60 hours a week for various employers. Throughout this time he enrolled in numerous college classes, became a U.S. citizen, and earned his professional driver’s license which was key to landing a job in Transportation Services.

As Adhanom says, “in 2018 my dream came true and I was hired as a part-time driver.” But it wasn’t long before he was driving full-time and since then has risen to become the evening coordinator, overseeing a fleet of buses and drivers. In this role, he’s responsible for making sure the shuttles run smoothly, responding to rider inquiries, and ensuring the drivers have the information they need to get everyone to their destinations on time.” It’s a critical role in supporting Harvard’s mission of teaching and research. “What we do, all adds up to helping the campus and the students, getting them to and from. It’s a big responsibility.”

Associate Director of Transit & Fleet Management Jim Monahan was always impressed with Adhanom’s work ethic and his desire to keep learning. “Promoting him into the coordinator role was an easy decision because he’s really good with people, a great communicator, and really good with understanding complicated logistics. But more than that, he’s always trying to improve himself. Always trying to learn more and get better at his job. He’s a real success story.”

While Adhanom has achieved a certain level of success, he’s not about to stop. He’s found the resources available through Harvard’s Bridge Program to be extraordinarily helpful. “I’m currently enrolled in a business writing course, one day per week, and it’s very good.” The Bridge offers adult education and training programs to help employees excel. These types of on-campus resources have helped Adhanom realize his ambitions.

While leaving his family and embarking on the long journey to the U.S. was understandably difficult, Adhanom says he is extremely happy and he loves his job. “My managers, the entire staff here, we help each other. They’re always pushing me up and challenging me to do more. I like challenges.”