Focus on Community: “First-Gens”

Did you know that the National First-Generation College Celebration happens every November 8th? It’s a time to recognize those who were the first in their family to graduate from college. Barb Kempken from Harvard University Dining Services is one such “first-gen” who navigated her way into higher education and later excelled in culinary arts. Many of our colleagues have incredible stories that often seem invisible, so we sat down with Barb to learn more about her experience.

Barb Kempken of Harvard University Dining Services
Barb Kempken of Harvard University Dining Services is a “First-Gen” college graduate

Tell us about your, and your family’s, background

I have been at Harvard since January 2023 as the director of residential dining operations. I grew up in the Chicago Metro area and attended the University of Illinois for a degree in Business Administration and then Johnson & Wales for a degree in Culinary Arts. While I was born in the U.S., I am German-American and consider myself more German than American. I hold dual citizenship with the U.S. and Germany. My parents came to the U.S. in the mid-1960s, and my father spoke some English, but my mother knew almost none. At home, until I was in my teenage years, we spoke almost exclusively German. My mom taught herself English while watching Sesame Street with my older sister and me, and by reading the local newspaper and looking up words in her German-English dictionary.

You’re a first-generation college graduate. What did navigating a college education in the States look and feel like as the first in your family?

My parents knew very little about the college process. Fortunately, I attended a good high school which helped me navigate the “how to get into college” process and had friends who offered advice as well. Financing my education was both difficult and confusing. Once I was in college, figuring out which classes to take and managing my time was my responsibility. I worked at a café during my four years at the University of Illinois to help pay for my education which then lead me to attend culinary school.

Were there times you had a sense of belonging while in college? Were there times that you didn’t? And if so, how did you navigate that?

My first year, I roomed with a friend from middle and high school who had Greek parents. She and I had a lot in common since we were both “first-gens.” I was also fortunate to make some great friends, many of whom were also “first-gens,” so we supported each other.

What does pursuing an education mean for you?

Pursuing an education meant having a solid foundation in my chosen fields which I hoped would open doors to opportunities. Additionally, to a certain degree, I knew it was expected of me by my parents and I did not want to disappoint them.

What has your education helped you accomplish?

So much! I started my career in food service as a $7/hour prep cook in a restaurant in Seattle and have worked my way up from there. Without the foundation in culinary arts and business that my education provided me, it would have been a much longer journey.

Why did you choose to come to Harvard and Harvard University Dining Services specifically?

Initially, I was reluctant to move to the east coast again. I had relocated to St. Louis in 2021 to be closer to family and was not certain I wanted to make such a big move – again. However, Harvard presented a great opportunity to work for a self-operated food service program, as well as to work with Smitha Haneef who I had met when she was running Princeton’s dining program. I really liked what she did there and was excited to be a part of the plans she had for HUDS.

Is there anything people would be surprised to learn about you?

Most people are surprised to learn that I eat mainly vegan (for approximately 8 years) and that I am a triathlete. I enjoy continually challenging myself to do different things!

Any closing thoughts?

Without the lessons and expectations from my parents, I would not be the person I am today. They instilled in me a desire to work hard to be successful and that regardless of an individual’s appearance, accent, or job title, everyone is to be treated with respect.