Supporting Harvard’s Mission – Al Brito

Al Brito if Harvard Real Estate

If there’s one thing you can say about Al Brito, it’s that he’s dedicated to supporting his communities. Al is the Lead Property Operations Assistant (POA) for Harvard Real Estate. He’s responsible for maintaining a large portfolio of buildings across the University as well as assisting in the oversight of all the other POAs. He’s also a kids basketball coach in his hometown of Chelsea. But whether it’s making sure buildings are functioning properly or that kids are learning valuable skills on the court, Al’s desire to help others is what fuels his ambition.

In 2016, Al worked for a plumbing contractor, helping bring to life the new Smith Campus Center which would officially open two years later. He performed so well that Harvard Real Estate (HRE) hired him directly, expanding his main portfolio to include buildings such as 1033 Mass Ave and 14 Story Street. Al also shares on-call responsibility for properties including Sparks House, Memorial Church, and the President’s house. POAs manage all aspects of a building’s performance including HVAC, electrical, and plumbing. Al knows his tradecraft very well but he also understands that his job is tied directly to supporting Harvard’s mission of teaching and research. “I like waking up and knowing that I’m helping to keep the wheels turning here at Harvard,” says Al. “If someone is coming in, and they’re building a robot, I can be there to help make sure all their needs are met. My work enables them to continuing to do good work for the University, for the world.”

This commitment to the mission also plays out in his local community. Al is a coach for the Chelsea Youth Basketball League where he teaches kids ages four to seven. “I grew up in Chealsea and it’s easy to see kids who don’t always have a lot to do, so I like to give back as much as I can.” Combine all of these activities with his other job of being a dad to two kids ages three and six, and Al’s plate is pretty full. “At the end of the day, I like helping people out.”

“Al is very creative and innovative,” says HRE Chief Facilities Operations Manager Jimmy Barbas. “As Lead POA, he also develops cost-effective measures when resolving issues which our customers really appreciate. He’s a tremendous asset to the organization and the University.”

Al is a good example of the critical role all Campus Services employees play in supporting Harvard’s mission of teaching and research. His strong work ethic and intense focus on customer service will ensure he has a bright future.